Saturday, September 02, 2006

Happy Nappies

Fantastic!!!! My local supermarket now stocks reusable nappies (the 'Motherease' brand) - plus the washable covers - plus biodegradable liners and nappy bags.

I'm going to give reusable nappies a go rather than disposables for a few reasons. To start with, the chemicals - disposables contain gels, glues, chlorine bleach, plastics, artificial perfumes and god knows what else - can't imagine these will do baby much good. Also, the waste - I read somewhere that if King James I had worn plastic disposables, his nappies would have only just decomposed! I don't want my baby's nappies still rotting in landfill in 400 years time!! And lastly, the cost - WEN reckon you can kit out your baby in real nappies for under £50 and these would last for the baby's 'nappy lifetime'. To buy enough disposables would cost £922!!! You do the maths... that saves enough dosh so that him indoors can treat me to a few romantic meals out!

I found out my local council subsidises a nappy laundry service - so if I can't face washing stinky nappies, I'll use this weekly pick up service. Or if I wash them myself, the council offers a £54 refund towards the cost of the nappies themselves. Boy, are they keen to stop me using disposables...

I found this comparison by WEN really useful. Also check out The Nappy Lady for reviews and anecdotes, and Twinkle Twinkle for a useful How to Nappy Guide.

[Pic by erzsebel ]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed that your supermarket stocks washables; I've only ever seen them online. Which supermarket is it?

Having used my photo, you may also want to link my blog, which covers a lot of similar topics to yours.

GreenMummy said...

Hi Karen

How exciting - yours is the 1st comment on my blog!

Very happy to link to your Rise blog - http://uborka.nu/rise/ - it looks great.

It's Waitrose that stocks the Motherease nappies, they've just started recently. Use the Real Nappy Finder to see whether your nearest branch stocks them. If you're in Reading, looks like they do.