Thursday, September 14, 2006

Freecycle nut?

I'm getting addicted to Freecycle. Especially since getting pregnant, I've become almost obsessive.

The Freecycle network lets you recycle your unwanted stuff, so you don't have to chuck it in the bin. It also lets you get stuff too. The 'stuff' can be almost anything. I've given away everying from a sack of cat litter to confetti. I've acquired allsorts, from a maternity support belt to a heap of houseplants. But here's the best bit - every exchange has to be free!

With Junior about to arrive, my nesting instinct has gone into overdrive, and I'm keen to pick up any 'baby kit' I can, especially if it's recycled - and free! So after a failed attempt to bargain hunt at a NCT Nearly New Sale (I left after 30 secs of queuing, when I realised I didn't fancy getting entangled with 200 other expectant mums to compete for a steriliser), I'm back to Freecycle. Here I can search for all those last minute essentials by just browsing online - and hubby can go pick them up (yes, he loves it really...)

And because babies grow out of clothes, toys etc so quickly, there's a high turnover of these items offered by parents desperate to make room for their offspring's next lot of 'kit'. So I can save a packet, AND re-recycle our baby stuff once Junior outgrows it. Recycling heaven!

[Pic by Shalf]

0 comments: